Trees, Shrubs and Roses
- Prune rose bushes without delay, if not done, as it is already almost too late.
- Spray roses against rose blackspot disease if they are not resistant vareities.
- Plant broad-leaved and coniferous evergreens now when the sap is rising and they will root quickly, but be sure to give a good watering at planting and in dry spells in the next few months.
- Pot on any cuttings of trees and shrubs taken last summer and autumn if they are showing new growth.
- Check young trees and shrubs planted in the last 12 months for water shortage, especially in dry spells.
More on Trees, Shrubs and Roses
Trees | Shrubs | Hedges | Mixed borders
- Flower seeds sown earlier will need pricking out and growing on, including liquid feeding, to make good-sized plants for planting out in May.
- Seeds of hardy flowers can be sown now.
- Spring bulbs can be lifted and moved as flowering fades or at any tme afterwards.
- Gladiolus and dahlias can be planted directly outdoors from the middle of the month, or towards the end of the month in colder localities.
- There is still time to start off begonias and cannas indoors.
More on Flowers
Perennial flowers | Flower beds | Rockery | Containers
- Because of the removal of grass mowings and the nutrients they contain, most lawns need feeding to boost new grass growth.
- Regular mowing should be well under way by now.
- Use lawn mosskiller if there is heavy moss growth.
- Patchy areas or areas affected by moss growth can be over-sown to increase the growth of grass.
- Sow lawn seed by scattering it when rain is due to wash it down to soil level.
- Trim lawn edges and re-make the edges with borders.
More on Lawns
Fruit, Vegetables and Herbs
- It is time to sow most kinds of vegetables during good weather with the soil in good condition, taking advantage of any good spell of weather.
- Onion sets and shallots can be put in too, if not already done.
- Potatoes can be planted at any time, and it is already a bit late for the first early varieties.
- Spray apple and pear trees against scab disease if the trees are not resistant varieties, which most kinds are not.
- Sweet corn and runner bean seeds can be sown in the greenhouse or indoor window sill for planting out later.
More on Fruit, Vegetables and Herbs
Fruit growing | Vegetables | Herbs
Greenhouse and House Plants
- Re-pot any house plants that are pot-bound and tending to topple over or dry out very easily.
- Sow sweet corn and runner beans for planting out at the end of May.
- Sow seeds of sweet peppers and chilli peppers for growing in the greenhouse.
- Feed and water heavily all greenhouse plants, if not already done.
- Sow basil indoors, and it is best grown in the warmth of a greenhouse.
More on Greenhouse and House Plants