Lafcadio Hearn Japanese Gardens
Reflecting the life and extensive wanderings of Patrick Lafcadio Hearn, who grew up in Ireland, and whose life journey embraced several parts of the world. The gardens pay homage to the fame he attained in Japan through his incomparable literary descriptions of the people, customs and culture of that country. The Gardens have a wonderful and unique story to tell. In their style and planting they contain elements of the gardening traditions of the countries and cultures traversed by Hearn during his varied life. The journey begins in a Victorian Garden to commemorate Hearnâ€™s happy childhood summers in Tramore. There is an American Garden, a Greek Garden and a traditional Japanese Tea Garden, in addition to a Stream Garden, ponds, a waterfall and an extensive woodland area. The main elements of design are influenced by the tradition of a Japanese Strolling Garden.
- Name:Lafcadio Hearn Japanese Gardens
- Address:Pond Road, Co. Waterford
- Phone:087 0960013
- Website: https://www.lafcadiohearngardens.com
- Contact:Ms Janet Carey
- Opening Times:11.00am – 5.00pm, 7 days per week (weather permitting). Please see website for admission fees.
- Wheelchair Access:Partial